Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sally Mann


The image above is one of my favorites of the work at the Sally Mann exhibit. I love the fact that is actually a long exposure of maggots eating the flesh of this deceased individual. I really like the anonymity- you can't tell whether it is a man or a woman. I think that the fact that she used glass plates was amazing. I remember going to the bodies exhibit at the Science Center in Orlando. There were over 200 deceseased bodies dissected and analyzed within the show. It was an amazing experience and reached me as much as this photograh above.

As for the rest of the show, I wasn't thoroughly impressed. I thought that the overall the show lacked that extra bit- the extra piece that ties each of the shows together. I feel that Sally Mann knows how to take pictures and she has amazing ideas, she just doesn't know how to execute each idea to it's fullest potential. Like for the portraits of her children all grown up, they weren't that interesting. They seemed like simple portraits and that's all. Besides that, I will continue to go see her shows because it might have just been a fluke that I didn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment