Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Elyse Smith- Sally Mann Show


I loved going to see the Sally Mann show. It was great to be able to really see her work, not just in a book or on the computer. I loved all of her images, but I think the one that surprised me the most was a photograph of a male corpse. I was very nervous to see the images from the “body farm” because I have a very sensitive stomach. Before going to the show I didn’t know if I would be able to handle those images. While there were some that were a little too much for me, I was able to really appreciate the beauty in most of them. This one in particular I really couldn’t stop looking at. I don’t know what it was about this one photo, but I spent a long time in front of this particular image. I don’t know if beautiful is the word, but I was truly captivated by this image. I think that this is one of the images that was memorable because I was so surprised by my reaction. I knew that I would love seeing her work, but I didn’t expect to be so fascinated by the images of the dead bodies. I guess I could say that I was pleasantly surprised by this reaction. I am glad I was able to appreciate that part of the exhibit and not have to walk out. Not only was I able to handle the images, there were a couple that I really reacted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment