Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Elyse Smith -1st Assignment, 6 Photographers


Lynn Watching Dr.Phil

Margret's Rhubarb


From flak photo

This post was about Susan Worsham. She is a photographer from Virgina. I liked most of her images. I think that she uses color very well and I like her subject matter. The work that I looked at focused mainly on her childhood house and two people. It isn’t clear if they are her family members, but I liked her portraits of them. Some seemed very candid, while others seemed set up. I loved the images she took of the elderly woman in the kitchen. They told a wonderful story. In some ways I would like to try to use some of her techniques. I would like to set up my photos like she did. I was really interested in her portraits, because that is one of my weaker areas.
"milk and crackers"

"plates"

From flak photo

For this post there was only one of Palmer Davis’ images, but I found his website and really liked him. One thing I really enjoyed about his photos was the composition. I have a lot of respect for people who can take pictures like this and have them work. I would have a heck of a time taking images like his. He really seems to break a lot of rules, but it works really well for him. I really admire his images, and I would really like to be able to emulate him.
This image is not a part of the series mentioned below, but I could only get one from that series. This is just another sample from her work.
Unfortunately this was the only image I could get from this series. The ones on her website would not let me save or copy them. This was not my favorite image, but it was the only one I could get. For more images from this series you can look at her website. http://www.daniapatricia.com/

From conscientious

This post was about Diana Maxwell’s project called Hope Drive. These photojournalistic photos documented a 24-year-old mother, Amber Milner, who moved into low-cost housing. These pictures show her daily life, at work and with her kids. I liked these images because I think they are very telling of this girl’s life. She has three kids and is trying to make ends meet. She isn’t sitting around feeling sorry for herself. The images are individually strong, but they also tell the story of this girl’s life very well. I also feel like this isn’t a story that we would hear or see everyday. I think that sometimes there are stories that are overlooked, and this one might be one of those.
Reproduction from color slide. Photo by Russell Lee

Reproduction from color slide. Photo by Russell Lee



From eyecurious

This post was about some color photos of depression-era America from the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information. I thought it was really interesting to see these images in color. In the post the author said that some people who commented on these images didn’t like them in color, but I really think that people just aren’t used to seeing older images in color. I loved being able to see these images in color. I thought it was kind of cool. When we think of photos from that time we always think of terribly sad black and white images, but these were different. Not all of these images were meant to show the suffering of that time.

From a photo student

For this photographer, I watched the video of her posted on the blog, then looked her up. There weren’t really any of her pictures on the blog, but there was a short video of her talking about her work. I watched that video and was really interested in what she had to say, and the ideas behind her work. She talked about gender roles, mainly in Iran, and the relatively false impressions Americans have. With the body of work she was talking about, she wanted to show a more accurate picture of women in Iran. She wanted to show that women in Iran are similar to women anywhere.

From featureshoot

There wasn’t much in the post about this artist, but I found the sample of his work that they showed interesting, so I looked through his website. I like Kendall Messick because he looks at details. I like that he doesn’t find the most interesting places or things in the world. He picks sort of mundane people and objects to photograph. I also feel like the things he chooses to photograph are not what most people see. He tries to find things that most people wouldn’t think to take pictures of.

No comments:

Post a Comment